Contact Us for a Free Consultation 814-382-5888


Uninsured and Underinsured car insurance in Pennsylvania

Posted by Jeff Millin | May 01, 2019 | 0 Comments

Pennsylvania requires motorists to carry a minimum of $15,000 in liability insurance to pay for bodily injuries caused to other drivers in a motor vehicle accident. If you carry the minimum coverage of $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident, your insurance company will pay a maximum of $15,000 to each person you injured in the accident, and no more than $30,000 total for any one accident, regardless of how many people get injured.

Pennsylvania drivers are also required to carry property damage liability, which covers damages caused to another person's property when an accident is your fault. Your insurance company is obligated to pay up to the amount of coverage you purchased. The Pennsylvania state minimum for property damage coverage is $5,000.

Medical payments coverage (or personal injury protection) is another required coverage in Pennsylvania. It is the first line of defense in paying for the medical expenses of you, and potentially anyone in your car who is injured, regardless of who was at fault for the accident. The minimum coverage required in Pennsylvania is $5,000, but you have the option to purchase more to protect you and your family.

We strongly recommend purchasing uninsured / underinsured motorist coverage, which is optional in the state of Pennsylvania, and here's why:

Let's say you are hit by someone running a red light. You suffer serious injuries resulting in tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills, but the person who hit you was “underinsured” and carried only the state minimum bodily injury coverage of $15,000 at the time of the accident. If you do not have underinsured motorist coverage, the amount of insurance money available from the other driver will not even come close to covering your medical expenses, let alone your pain and suffering.

However, if you are protected by underinsured motorist coverage, you will be able to bring a claim against your own insurance company in order to recover money for your medical bills, loss of income, etc. Similarly, if you have uninsured motorist coverage your insurance company will pay medical bills and lost wages if you are in an accident caused by a driver who has no liability insurance to cover these expenses. Your insurance company will pay up to the limits you chose when you bought the policy.

Be sure you have the proper insurance to protect you and your family.  If you have questions about your insurance or injuries from a car accident please contact us for a free evaluation.

About the Author

Jeff Millin

For 29 years I have had the pleasure of representing local people who have been seriously injured. Attorney Millin's practice includes extensive experience representing injured victims. His clients include those with claims resulting from workplace injuries, automobile accidents, product liabili...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Areas We Serve

Serving injury victims in the following areas: Based in Meadville/Conneaut Lake, Pennsylvania, we represent clients in Pennsylvania, including communities such as Erie County, Crawford County, Venango County, Warren County, Mercer County, Clarion County, Butler County, Titusville County, Erie, Edinboro, Meadville, Kane, Oil City, Franklin, Sharon, Mercer, Warren, North East, Fairview, Girard, Corry, Union City, Cambridge Springs, Albion, Bradford, Smethport, New Castle, Greenville, Clarion, Butler, Ridgway, Saint Marys.